Visas and Embassies
- Entry into Ghana
- Visa Applications to Ghana
- Information for the Visa Application
- Visas for Onward Travel
Entry into Ghana
These are the requirements for entry into Ghana at any point of entry.
- Valid passport with 6 or more months before expiration.
- Proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination.
- All non-ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) citizens require a visa for entry. Under most circumstances, visas for entry into Ghana must be obtained from the Ghanaian embassy nearest to your country of residence.
- There are single-entry visas, which are usually valid for entry up to 3 months from the date of issue.
- The multiple-entry visas allow any number of entries into Ghana for various time periods from the date of issue, or to the date of your passport expiration, whichever occurs first.
Both types of visas are valid for a stay of up to 3 months in Ghana, after which a visa extension should be obtained at a Ghana Immigration Service office. There is an immigration office in each of the regional capitals as well as other major cities. The Ghana Immigration Service in Accra is located on John Hammond Road at Ako Adjei Interchange. Extensions take time, so give them a couple of weeks unless you intend to pay for expedited service.
Visa extensions can also be obtained by crossing the border into a neighboring country, and returning to Ghana. This requires a multiple-entry visa, and would give you another 3 months. See our page on Border Crossings.
Be certain to obtain your extension before your visa expires or you will be subject to a penalty. You will be assessed a penalty at the border when departing Ghana if you have an expired visa.
Visa Applications to Ghana
These are links for tourist visa information and forms at various Ghanaian consulates. Below these links are some helpful tips for filling out the visa application form.
| Australia, Canberra
|Belgium instructions and the visa application form|
|Canada instructions and the visa application form|
|Czech Republic instructions and the visa application form|
|South Africa instructions and the visa application form|
|Turkey instructions and the visa application form|
| United States, Washington, D.C.
United States, New York
United States, Houston
Notes: We recommend using the Ghanaian consulate in Washington, D.C. The Houston consulate is for Rush Visas only.
Information for the Visa Application
- Some items may be requested that are confusing on the visa application when touring. When appropriate, you can use these suggestions:
- About your airline ticket.
- Indicate you have an electronic ticket.
- About your financial means.
- Simply state “bank account, credit card”.
- For references, you may indicate:
- Your Local Tour Agency Or
- TraveltoGhana, P.O.Box SE901, Suame-Kumasi. Hapaspace House No. 27 Atta Poku Street TUC, Kumasi 0243750022
- “This is my first time in Ghana.”
- The first hotel you visit on your holiday
- Your address in Ghana: State “On tour throughout Ghana”
- For the date of your last visit to Ghana, if appropriate, indicate “This is my first time in Ghana.”
- About your airline ticket.
- Use an express delivery service to mail to the nearest Ghanaian embassy with:
- 4 copies of the visa application for each person
- 4 passport photos
- Your passport
- A cashier’s check or money order for the required fee
- Addressed, pre-paid return envelope via an express service
- Your passport will be returned with a visa for entry into Ghana affixed inside.
- Call the embassy to follow up if your passport is not returned within 2 weeks.
- Note well: It is not the responsibility of the Ghanaian Consulate to return your passport if you do not include appropriate postage for return. In such cases where return postage is not provided, your passport will be retained at the consulate until you provide the required means for return of the passport, or retrieve it in person. The consulate will not contact you, and it is your responsibility to ensure that the return of your passport is provided.
Visas for Onward Travel
Visas for neighboring countries can be obtained at embassies in Accra. For some countries, visas are available at the border, but the costs are greater.
Visas cost $20 cash (payable in dollars only) for multiple entry and are issued the same day if you apply in the morning. Three photos required. Visa may also be applied for at the border, but the cost is greater – about $40.
Location: Togo House, Cantonments Circle
Phone: 030 277 7950
Visas cost $25/$50 for one-/three-month multiple entry and are usually issued within 48 hours. Three photos required.
Location: 129A Airport West, Airport Residential
Phone: 030 277 4860
Month-long visas costs $4 (payable in cedis) for Australians and Americans. British nationals pay $10. Usually issued in 48 hours. Two photos required. Visa may also be applied for at the border, but the cost is greater.
Location: 9 18th Lane, Osu
Phone: 030 277 4611
Visas cost $40 (not payable in cedis) for three months and are usually issued within 24 hours. Three photos required. Visa may also be applied for at the border, but the cost is vastly greater.
Location: 772 Farrar St. Asylum Down
Phone: 030 222 1988